Davézieux

Davézieux

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Mon 21em Anniversaire

As far as birthdays go, turning 21 definitely wasn't the worst birthday of my life - but there have been better.  Here's the story:

I woke up, took a shower, and walked out into the kitchen to get breakfast.  There was about two teaspoons of milk left, so I finished it off with a spoonfull of Boules de Miel (honey balls, which are actually pretty tasty, though I can think of no comparison in the states...).  That didn't necessarily whet my appetite, so I went into the cupboard for a slice of bread with nutella.

Right as I was finishing eating, my host mom came in the door and gave me a birthday present!  I was so surprised.  I mean I didn't know what to expect, but that was really nice of her.  It was a pullover and an Adidas t-shirt, both are super comfortable and I wore them for the rest of the day.

My host mom and sister left for a while, so I was home by myself for a couple hours just farting around and being bored.  Eventually they came back and we ate lunch of some meat sauce wrapped in a big noodle with melted cheese on top, it was really good!  They also made a chocolate marble cake and a raspberry tarte that was really, really good.  Then they left again.

I was being bored again, so I decided I should go for a walk and maybe I would by myself a nice watch or something (I've been looking into getting a watch for some time now).  I brought my trusty camera along with me, which was unfortunate because after like 10 minutes it starting raining and I had to tuck it uncomfortably under my pullover.

I went to several of the local stores just browsing for stuff I didn't want or need, just keeping an eye out for a watch.  I went to...maybe 6 stores, none of them had anything!  Finally this one store, InterSport, had a couple of really expensive digital watches, which isn't exactly what I'm looking for.  I did spend a little more time in there though because they have this huge section just dedicated to soccer.  It's so European!  There's a big wall of authentic jerseys from all around Europe, tons of soccer balls (and a San Antonio Spurs basketball because Tony Parker is a Frenchman who plays for them), cleats and shorts and everything.  Also it's really expensive.

I walked around this mall type store (the one with the groceries) and found some decent looking watches, except I wasn't hooked by any of them so I decided to check the other shops inside the store.  I finally found a shop just for jewelry and watches, hooray!  The watches were no less than 100€.  I found the perfect one, too! :( I decided I would just look it up when I got home because I was sure I could find it for cheaper.  Turns out I can't find it at all haha, so now I'm just looking all over for a classy watch and also a sporty one.

I walked back home, but on the way I was feeling kinda sorry for myself so I stopped in a little food mart that I hadn't been in yet, and met up this giant wall of cookies.  Cheap, delicious looking cookies for a Euro or less. Or more, also.  I didn't know what I was looking for, but I saw this box of 9 Nutella-filled shortbread cookies and decided that that'd suffice.  I ate them all on the way back.

When I finally got home after being gone for roughly three hours my family was back, and we ate a dinner of hashbrowns.  I tore up some turkey lunch meat and that made it a little more interesting, and then I finished off the raspberry tarte.  I'm starting to get used to not really eating anything for dinner, but I also hate it because I love to eat until I'm stuffed...

Well I pretty much spent the rest of the night on Facebook chatting with friends, and then I Skyped home and they sang me happy birthday and I blew out candles on a cake they made for me that I, unfortunately, didn't get to try.  One thing about France is they don't really add glaze or sauce or toppings to anything but maybe salad, so my chocolate cake, although delicious, was a little dry.

That's it! I'm 21!  I'm extremely grateful for the abundance of birthday wishes I got and for my family for making me food and such, and even though it wasn't the best birthday in my life I have much to be thankful for :)

No comments:

Post a Comment