Davézieux

Davézieux

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Soirée Pétanque

Biggest mistake yet : didn't bring my camera to this birthday party for my host mom's co-worker and/or friend. Not exactly sure of their relationship actually, but here's the story: this afternoon Isabelle picked me up and brought me to get lunch with her coworkers, and we went to this buffet style restaurant where they had a bunch of à la carte items set up on this giant table.  I also left my wallet at home because I thought we were going to play boules (pétanque) and that the lunch was the next day.  Turns out they were on the same day!  So Isabelle paid for me and I met some of her friends and it was really fun.  I'm still in that "let everyone talk around me while I try to understand any of what they're saying" stage.

Afterwards I walked home and Isabelle went back to work, and I just played guitar and chatted with some people on Facebook or something.   Anyway around 6 Isabelle picked me up again to go play pétanque, is a really popular game in France (it's a lot like bocci ball), but apparently it was also a party! There was lots of alcohol, and Isabelle brought a liter of Coke for me haha.  I drank the whole thing.

I'm ticked because I didn't realize how fun it was going to be and how fun the people were going to be and I REALLY wish I had had my camera with me.  It was just me with like 15 other middle aged French men and women.  No worries though, I guess we're playing again Tuesday so I'll bring it then!  I'm pumped.  I'm not too shabby, but some of the guys I was playing with are unbelievable.  Imagine throwing a 2 pound, tangerine sized ball of metal 15 yards at another ball and hitting it. EVERY time.  That's what these guys do.  C'est incroyable. Expect more French in my posts by the way...

So we played probably 15 games, and after each game we would stop and eat bread and cheese and sausage, and after a couple of games they uncorked the wine and opened up the beer and I threw back some Coke.  Then after a couple hours we ordered pizza.  And kept playing.  Then we had cake.  And kept playing.  I kept thinking we would be done and then they would say "allez!" and we would go play again! This lasted from 6 to 1.  That's 6 p.m. to 1 a.m.  That's 7 hours.  I loved it.

The people I met were super friendly.  I noticed that no matter where you are, whenever someone new enters the place they always greet themselves everyone.  I shook hands and did 'la bise' (the kiss on the cheek thing, which I have down now, like a boss) with all those people and we never exchanged names.  They come right up to you and say 'bonjour' and shake your hand and go to the next person.  You're automatically friends, no homme left behind.  Then, later, your name kind of gets shared by people who found out from someone else, or maybe they'll ask you.  Mostly Isabelle would tell someone, then they would tell the other people, and it went on from there.  They say my name like kah-zay haha.  I would say my name, and they would say "comment?" so I'd spell it out and they'd go "oohhh kahzay!" So...basically I have a stage name now.

I also found out one of the guys I met, Pédro (am I the only one who thinks that's hilarious...? He's SO French, too...), is going to give me a bike for free tomorrow.  How awesome is that? No hour long walks to work for this guy.

Anyway, since I was partying for half of the time I was awake that's all that really happened today.  I don't feel very good from all the stuff I ate and drank.  Should probably hold back on the Coca from now on...

Travelin' Man issss...blleeeggghhh!!! it's a good pain...

No comments:

Post a Comment